Warm Quinoa Salad is jam-packed with nutritious ingredients. All you would hope for in a salad. A spicy citrus dressing finishes this warm salad off perfectly. This self-isolation recipe that will leave you thinking why you didn’t think of it sooner.
With certain ingredients now a little harder to come by. We wanted to show you how easy it is to make some truly tasty dishes from the food you already have in your kitchen store cupboards. While a tin of chickpeas, a bag of lentils and some chopped tomatoes aren’t hugely exciting alone, the dishes you can create with these simple ingredients are endless, and can be extremely delicious too!
Warm Quinoa with Cauliflower and Chickpeas
A spicy citrus dressing finishes this warm salad off perfectly.
- ½ C (125 ml) quinoa
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 x 410 g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried well with paper towel
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) honey (use coconut sugar or maple syrup for a vegan version)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 C (250 ml) mix of chopped fresh Italian parsley, mint and coriander
- Danish or goat’s feta, for serving (optional, leave off for a vegan version)
- zest of 1 small orange
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) honey (use coconut sugar or maple syrup for a vegan version)
- ¼–½ tsp (1.25–2.5 ml) chilli paste, according to taste
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 220 °C and lightly grease a baking tray.
Place the cauliflower florets and chickpeas onto the greased baking tray. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Place the chickpeas into a bowl, drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and the 2 Tbsp (30 ml) honey and mix until well coated. Add the chickpeas onto the baking tray with the cauliflower.
Roast the cauliflower and chickpeas for 20 minutes – the cauliflower should be tender and slightly charred and the chickpeas should be golden.
Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions and drain well.
Toss the cooked quinoa, roasted cauliflower and chickpeas, onion and herbs together until well combined. Add the feta, if using, and mix in gently.
Mix all the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad just before serving.
Further easy Self Isolation recipes worth checking out are Chickpea Salad | Wholesome Mediterranean Magic | or even Chickpea Soup |Ancient Sicillian Delight |
Because of the robust flavours of the Warm Quinoa Salad, we served a light and fresh Chenin Blanc from South Africa. Carmen Stevens Angels Selection Chenin Blanc 2018 has purity written all over it. Crisp clean, apple and white peach fruit flavours running alongside a lovely creamy, soft bite to the finish. Just delicious. Available from Naked Wines.