These gluten-free buckwheat pancakes are a vision of health. Enjoy them with yoghurt, berries or a drizzle of maple syrup for a breakfast treat that makes you feel good. In this recipe we have opted for the sweet version but they work well as a savoury too. Try them with cream cheese and smoked salmon or a pate. Too delicious and vegitarean too.
You can make these vegan by substituting 1 small, ripe banana (about 70g/2½oz), mashed, for the egg. Use plant-based milk. Omit the sugar and add an extra teaspoon of oil to the batter as these have more of a tendency to stick.
- 4 rounded tbsp buckwheat flour
- 4 rounded tbsp gluten-free plain flour
- 1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 free-range egg
- 150ml/5fl oz milk
- 1 tbsp light olive or vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with the milk and oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until there are no visible traces of flour.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium–high heat.
- When it is hot, add a drizzle of oil and carefully wipe it across the pan with a piece of kitchen paper. Use a dessert spoon to spoon the batter into the hot pan.
- The batter should bubble quickly.
- After about a minute the edges of the pancake should be set with little holes appearing across the surface.
- Flip the pancakes over with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds.
- Set the pancakes aside on a warm plate or baking tray while you cook the remaining batter in the same way, oiling the base of the pan before each batch.
- Serve the pancakes in a stack, drizzled with maple syrup or topped with a spoonful of yoghurt and berries
If you want to go savoury with your Buckwheat Pancakes try this wonderful savoury fillings:
Smoked Mackerel Pate | Dairy Free and Gluten Free |
Hummus | Claimed by all, Owned by None|
Black Bean, Avocado, Corn Salad | Viva Mexico |
Turn breakfast into a celebration. Serve Prosecco. We chose a Sacchetto Col de L’Utia Prosecco Brut 2018. Crisper and creamier than Cava, with a softer fizz than Champagne, this luxury drop has all the melt-in-the-mouth quality you’d expect from a world-famous winemaker. It’s full of fruit and delicate refreshing bubbles. Perfect for parties, weddings, or just making your Friday night fish and chip supper sing. Available from Naked Wines.