Made the Blackberry Bramble Cocktail up last night. Its delicious. So how do you invent a cocktail? There are several methods, the easiest is to take an existing recipe and modify it. The second, a little harder is use another base cocktail as a template, like a daiquiri, martini, or old fashioned and build it with other things. The final way is really hard, unless your lucky. Start fresh, and experiment until it tastes good, that can take a while, I always seem to have some 3×5 cards with half finished recipes laying around, various thing scratched out and added. No idea if some will ever be any good.
Experimentation is the Fun Part
The Blackberry Bramble Cocktail used the second method of a cocktail template. Here is the process I went through:
- Look in the fridge and think, “I need to use those blackberries”
- Look at the bar and think “What would go with blackberry”
- Start grabbing bottles from the shelves.
- Pick up a straw.
- Stick a black berry in my mouth, and using the straw to pick up the booze from a bottle . (The old ‘insert straw in liquid; put finger on top of straw; remove straw from bottle with finger sealing the top; put over mouth and remove finger’ method)
- Bite Blackberry with booze and see if it tastes good.
As I went through about 10 different liquors it became obvious there were some marriages, and some not. For example, Aquavit, not good. Cointreau, amazing. The clear winners were Cognac and Cointreau. With those two choices, and the thought of muddling some blackberries into the drink, I thought an even pour of each, like in a daiquiri would be good. From here I made a basic daiquiri from those two spirits. I used fresh lemon and Blackberry Syrup to round the drink out. I believe Simple Syrup should do well too.
Took several tries and a call to my daughter to get the portions just right. She was making a watermelon drink it turns out so we experimented together.
Sometimes the joy is in the journey not the destination.
BlackBerry Bramble Cocktail
Cognac. Cointreau. Blackberry. Lemon.
Blackberry Bramble Cocktail
The Blackberry Bramble Cocktail is more on the tart side, due to the muddling of fresh berries, but just a touch of sweetness to make it an easy drink.
- 3 whole Blackberries
- 1 ounce of Cognac
- 1 ounce of Cointreau
- 3/4 ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 ounce Blackberry Syrup (or Simple Syrup)
- Lemon Peel Ribbon and a Whole Blackberry on a Cocktail Pick as a Garnish
Muddle Blackberries and Syrup in a Cocktail Strainer.
Add Remaining Ingredients.
Shake with Ice.
Double Strain into a Chilled Coupe.
Garnish with Lemon Peel Ribbon and a Whole Blackberry on a Cocktail Pick.